I used to write in a diary everyday when I was younger but life got in the way and I stopped doing it. Now, since the beginning of the pandemic that has ravaged our planet, I have started writing every day. The difference being, I am now journaling everyday.
To me, the two are different from each other. When I was writing in my diary. I was just recording my day to day experiences but my journal is much more than that. I not only record what I am doing but write about goals and plans for the future and ideas that come to me. I reflect on how I am changing and how I can make further changes to myself and my life.
There are so many different ways one can journal too. For example, you can have a dream journal, a gratitude journal, a personal journal and so on. I tend to use a gratitude and a personal journal and every now and again I add to my art journal.
Journaling has so many benefits too:
- A journal helps to get your thoughts and feelings onto paper
- It improves your writing and the more you do it, the better your writing becomes
- Ideas start to form as you are writing. This has been especially useful for me
- Journaling relieves stress because you can get all the shit out of your head and onto paper. It is like you are sharing your feelings with a friend. Yes your journal can be your friend
- Writing boosts your memory. When you look back later at what you have written, say a few months down the line, you are more likely to remember the situation far more than if you did not write it down
So I am going to continue to journal every day and when all this corona virus shit is all over I will have something to look back on and know that I survived through tough times.